Jake’s K2 blog #20: Waiting at 7350m for weather to clear, a summit attempt is imminent…

July 17, 2018

Jake Meyer

Chief of Staff

K2 Expedition 2018

Location: Camp 3 on K2

Jake’s Current Location at the time of this blog – Camp 3 K2

Jake has now been on K2 for four days and is at Camp 3, some 7350m high, and preparing to make a summit attempt in the next few days. Communications are necessarily brief, but he has sent back the following by text message:

Currently up in Camp 3 having a rest day. Depending on conditions, may either go to Camp 4 (c8000m) tomorrow, or wait another 24 hours. Have lots of food, gas and oxygen and weather is looking good for the weekend – it just depends how deep the snow is on the shoulder, and the ease of fixing the ropes through the bottleneck and along the traverse and towards the summit.

Some other teams can’t make up their minds if they want to go up or down, which is frustrating, as it may affect the size of the rope fixing team up high. Other than that, weather looking better this weekend, our spirits are high and we hope this weekend will yield results!

To give you an idea of what Jake is experiencing, below is a video he made when he was at Camp 3 on Broad Peak. It was made last week when he was preparing to make a solo summit attempt – after you have watched the video, you can read all about that here.



Jake’s social media links:


Use the form below to sign up for regular newsletters on Jake’s progress.

Please note that initially this will be a weekly or bi-weekly email, but during Jake’s climb the frequency will increase. You will not be sent any other emails and we will not share your email address with anyone else.

Share this page:



Related articles